Friday, January 14, 2005

Sub-Zero Weather Isn't Really That Bad...

The high for yesterday was Zero. The highs for today were in the single digits below zero. Tomorrow: -5 F. Sunday: +2 F. Welcome to Minnesota in the wintertime. The air is crisp, clear, and, of course, cold. There isn't a cloud in the sky, and the wind is vicious. The college had to send out an email warning people to make sure and dress warm, wear many layers, cover your head, and leave no square inch of skin exposed when you venture outside. The symptoms of hypothermia and frostbite were repeated many times. It’s nice to see that the college is looking out for the 30% of its students who are not from this barren Siberian wasteland, otherwise poor Texas wouldn't have known to cover her face up until her nose turned black!

My car started on the first try yesterday!!! Thank goodness for that new battery I had to spend $60 on last month. On the flip side, it took me four tries to start it today. Last night was substantially colder, and I had a substantially lower level of fuel in my tank. Good ole Gus, reliable as heck even if the windshield wipers don't work. I woke up this morning and there was ice on the inside of my window. Well, okay, there's always ice on the inside of my window since I never turn the heat on, (though that might change since I rearranged my stuff onto the cold side of the room) but there was a far greater amount than usual. Proof that
Minnesota is humid, even in winter? Everyone had ice on their windows. It’s mostly gone now, but that might change again tomorrow morning. I'll let you know then. Well, not really, I have to go to work tomorrow, and I'm not getting up 'till the last possible moment, dust mopping the floor at basketball game half times doesn't require that much co-ordination. Ok, time to clean. I've been putting this off all evening, and now, its time to put my life back together after the move. {YES, our room has been rearranged again!}