Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Be Careful What You Wish For

My 10:30 class got cancelled today. I'm bummed.

"Why?" you ask. "You're a perfectly normal college student, always wishing class would get cancelled, the test would be postponed, and no homework would be assigned."

"Yes" I say. " But the proactive teacher always assigns extra work when class is cancelled."

I have a proactive teacher. She is so sick that she can't teach class, which is fine by me. Little by little, that class becomes less and less enjoyable. She is, however, not sick enough to not assign anything. So, for homework this time, we have to write a 2-3-page reflection on the reading that was due for today. Ok. That sounds easy enough. How-do-you-feel work can always make me pissed off enough to meet writing requirements. But! I didn't read the assignment very well, nor did I understand it. The discussion in class today was going to be my saving grace, my epiphany into the right answer for the theme of that essay. So, now I have to read the work AGAIN, write on it, read another essay for Thursday's class, and complete a more significant writing assignment for next Tuesday.

"You're a slacker!" You say.

Maybe I am. In fact, it’s more than likely that I am. But I am still irritated by the excessive workload that this relatively undemanding class is suddenly springing upon me in this, the last full week before Thanksgiving. I know that troubles come in bunches of grapes, but I don't need it proven to me, once again. Thus, between yesterday and the beginning of Thanksgiving Break, I will have taken Three tests, written Four papers {the fact that only three of them are in English doesn't help} and completed a research project that was assigned last Thursday. My grapes are sour!

All I have to say is that the month of December BETTER be easy. Cuz time management isn't one of those things I came to college to learn. Working 30 hours a week and being a full-time high school student last year put the cap on the time management-ing I'd been doing since 8th grade.

I'm not angry. If anything, I'm depressed. Pathetic circumstances make a person feel less than a person. I am a number. 0510573. And if you memorize that, you can go to the caf and buy food with my meal plan. Please do!